The Plan

I chose to model Lynden as I am really interested in operations and not just running a train around in circles. I have looked at other locations but have not been able to find the right mix of operations, track layout, and equipment type being used. I originally wanted a location that primarily had inbound/outbound shipments using 4427 or 4750 cu ft covered hoppers, 50' 6" exterior post box cars, and mechanical reefers along with a mix of other cars. However, if anyone can provide me with a location in the Midwest served by the Milwaukee Road that shipped inbound/outbound using covered hoppers, exterior post box cars, hi-cube boxcars, and the occasional mechanical reefer or tank car I would be interested, especially if it is a place I can go see the actual area.

Milwaukee Road GP35 in Lynden

Milwaukee Road GP35 in Lynden

Saturday, March 24, 2018

Winterail Tribute to the Milwaukee Road

If you have not seen this video it is a must see.   Blair Kooistra presented it at Winterail last week and it was the final presentation at the end of the evening.  I don't know that anyone would have been able to follow his presentation with their own as this video brought down the house and brought tears to many if not all of those that attended.   I can think of no other RR video that has elected such strong emotions.   This is what railroading was like in the PNW in the 70's and this is what draws me to model the region, especially the Milwaukee Road.

Milwaukee Road PNW Tribute

Blair Kooistra had an story in the June 1979 issue of Trains Magazine called, "Two More Mountains to Cross" which essentially introduced the Milwaukee Road to me although I had seen the railroad once or twice in 1973 on a family vacation out to Seattle.  Short glimpses of an amazing railroad that made me wish I had been born 10 years earlier in order to experience it at an appreciative age.  Not having a driver's license or car impeded my ability to rail fan around central Iowa and only after the Rock Island shut down and the Milwaukee Road cut it's system down did I have the opportunities to drive and look for trains, it was too late.

Blair had several stories in Trains but "Two More Mountains to Cross" was the genesis of my love for the Milwaukee Road. His stories are incredible and leave you with a lump in your throat.    CTC Board magazine fueled my love as well as the masterful and breathtaking book, "The Milwaukee Road" by Fred Hyde.  Fred was another person that influenced me in my early years as a rail fan and model railroader.  The internet has given many of us the opportunities to meet and have discussions with our heroes, mentors, and make new friends.  I have been able to have invaluable conversations with both Blair and Fred which have continued to fuel my desire to model the Milwaukee Road in some form or fashion....thus my choice of modeling Lynden, WA.




1 comment:

  1. Natural herbs have treated so many illnesses that drugs and injections can't cure. I've seen the great importance of natural herbs and the wonderful work they have done in people's lives. I read people's testimonies online on how they were treated of Herpes, HPV HIV/AIDS & STDs, Diabetics , Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Arthritis, Chronic pains. etc. by herbal medicine, so I decided to contact the herbal doctor because I know nature has the power to heal anything. I was diagnosed with Herpes for the past years but Dr Chike treated me with his powerful natural herbs and I referred my aunt and her husband to him immediately because they were both suffering from herpes but to God be the glory, they were treated too .I know it is hard to believe but I am a living testimony. There is no harm trying natural herbs. Contact Dr on Whats-App . +233502715551. text/call via: +1 (719) 629 0982 , or you can also contact through his Facebook Page @ Dr Chike Herbal Remedy.

    ReplyDelete